Thursday, July 28, 2005

DOSSIER # 13 A: VIOLENCE, RACE, RELIGION AND FAMILY IN TORONTO

One of my favorite times of the year is New Year’s Eve. That night, after the bluster and hectic nature of the Christmas season where one can sit back, relax and reminisce about what has transpired over the past year and what one hopes will occur in the next. It is, for me, a time for family, friends, excellent food and drink.

On New Year’s Eve 2002, my then fiancée and now lovely wife met up with me around 3 o’clock in the afternoon at the NW corner of Yonge and St. Clair. After standing and talking for about 15 minutes in the magazine shop there, we made our way across the street and proceeded to walk south on Yonge St. We were in a great mood as we discussed what we would cook for that evening. Then, about a block down, my wife and I felt a wet, white wash come across our bodies. Someone had just…spit on us. We turned around. Standing about four feet from us was a young black man dressed in requisite gang wear/Fubu style baggy clothes, his head partially covered with a large hood.

“Did you just spit on us?” I asked. He looked at my fiancée and said “What are you gonna do about it you white b***h?” I took a step forward as his hand went under his shirt and grabbed something located in his belt buckle and jiggled it. He turned to me. “You want some of this you white b***h?” I could not see what he grabbed. He certainly wanted me to believe it was a gun he had in his hand and that he would use it. This was in broad daylight on the corner of Yonge and St. Clair in downtown Toronto; a family neighborhood. I like to think of myself as brave, but not stupid. I motioned for my fiancée to get behind me, preparing for the worst. I took a step back. He jiggled the object one more time stating, “You want some of this?” He then turned around and walked back up the street.

Shaken, we crossed the street. Our voices raised, we struggled over what we should do about the incident. A young, Portuguese couple with a baby carriage approached us, concerned by our expressions. We recounted what had happened just moments ago and questioned whether we should call the police. They said a similar thing happened to them recently and the police could not help. Without an actual person to prosecute, reporting it would be useless. A lovely couple, they wished us well and walked off. Filled with rage, I grabbed the phone and ran up the street in the direction of the assailant but found nothing.

Our New Year’s was not pleasant that night and I became grim and depressed for the next several months. I felt violated. I thought of all of the ‘what if’ scenarios that could have happened to my fiancée. I thought of writing letters to newspapers but then one wonders, what will that accomplish and what if the thug reads it and sees my name?
Eventually the anger passed and I incorporated it as another one of life’s experiences.

In Toronto there were seven separate shootings within a 24 hour period earlier this week. Unlike shootings that occurred in previous years, increasingly violence is happening in well populated civilian areas. One shooting was at Dundas and Church, just a few blocks from the Eaton Centre. Another was at Square One Shopping Mall during the day. More of these shootings are also happening in broad daylight. Some other unfortunate factors are also usually associated with the violence. More often than not, sadly, the gunmen are young black men involved in gang culture. Most of the victims are also usually black. Some say to acknowledge this is racist. I say to not acknowledge this is racist. Many civilians are also getting hit by stray or random bullet sprays.

When asked about the shootings Toronto Mayor David Miller did exactly as suspected. He put his neo-Marxist politically correct hat on and blamed America. On a radio broadcast on CFRB I actually heard him say that because of (America’s) ‘idiotic gun laws’ they were ‘exporting violence’ to Toronto. Mayor Miller’s comments are simplistic and defy logic. If Toronto’s laws worked properly it would not matter where the guns came from. Similarly, and this is something that even the most simple-minded child seems to understand, is that criminals are criminals precisely because they don’t obey laws. Mayor Miller does not want to deal with this because then he would have to deal with what many in the black community other communities already know.

The issue of gang violence in Toronto runs as an ever widening chasm. All of the statistics that politicians and statisticians come up with that say violence is on the decrease more and more reads like propaganda. While overall violent crime may be down, random acts of gang violence are up. This is what people are concerned about; that a random bullet might hit a civilian as they go about their business at a shopping mall, in a park or on the street. Similarly, Toronto city council does not want to deal with the fact that many of these crimes also occur in parts of town that are heavily populated by the black community.

Were it happening in one of the wealthy, white areas that Mayor Miller and his compatriots at city hall live in, they would not tolerate it. If Mayor Miller would listen to the black community on this issue as much as he has listened to the residents of Toronto Island over the airport expansion or Sarah Polley on issues of the ‘arts’, perhaps Toronto would have some headway.

Now, anyone who would use this to cast a pall over the black community to generalize would be committing an act of racism. However, to slide it under the table and not deal with it, is also a more insidious form of racism; a form of racism which puts liberal political correctness first and basic human compassion second. This is also unacceptable.

David Miller seems to want to take the second route, and like so many who have gone before him, not acknowledge the problem until too much damage has done, too many lives have been destroyed and too much real blood of the innocent has been shed.

This is unacceptable.

To be continued

PLEASE LOOK FOR PART B SOMETIME ON FRIDAY JULY 29, 2005

4 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that is really touching. I have a few things to add:

Miller is full of b.s. I live in Windsor, a hop, skip and jump from one of the most violent cities in America (Detroit) and although we have our share of thugs, nothing like what just described. SO, if big bad Americans are to blame for gun violence, why is TO the target and not somewhere simpler like Windsor? OR Sarnia? Both are easily accessible and much closer to the US than TO.

My understanding is that a lot of thugs get their guns via marijuana bartering. We give you weed, you give us a gun. Is this true? Than if so, are not our lax ganja laws to blame? Or lax gun laws? Chicken and the egg people...

I hope you're OK. Please be safe. TO, like Windsor, is a lovely place, and I hate to think of it turning into a posh version of Detroit.

All the best
~B

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Thank you very much for the kind comments.

Yes, we are certainly alright but having an experience like that certainly stays with you for a long time.

All the best.

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is just in general to all your posts.

I just want to thank you for your excellent posts. They are always well put, well researched, and offer a clear perspective of how Canada REALLY is.

I came upon your blog from a link from 905 Tory. Before a few weeks ago I was and have always been anti-conservative because of all the crap that I'm "learning" in school, papers, profs at Trent University (Peterborough). Thanks to your posts and my boyfriend who has always voted Conservative, I have pursued for the past 3 weeks endless reading, educating myself and examining my own beliefs and opinions on government and policy.

One of the reasons I was so adamant about ever voting Conservative is because I agree with same-sex marriage. But I've come to realize that that is one issue among many. And although I believe in it, it doens't affect me personally, and where MY tax paying dollars are going is more important.

I'm an undergrad student at Trent studying Sociology and Canadian Studies. I want to pursue a career in social policy. My plan is to educate people of the deception and bias of information we receive in our schools: Elementary to post-secondary.

We pay so much in taxes but the services we get are not adequate. I don't have a doctor and have to wait hours to see one at a walk-in clinic. The system right now isn't working. I would like to see a Conservative government come into power and fix Canada.

Although you don't know me personally, for me to say the last statement is unheard of. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would vote Conservative.

Thank you again for your posts.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

S.A.,

Your post meant so much to me. As with all bloggers, I don't get paid for this and do it out of passion and to read a post like yours, to have affected someone means so much to me.

Also, I must add that like you, I too was once anti-conservative. I went to Queen's University during a very bad period there (which I will write about at length later) and I just started questioning what I was being taught and what I was being taught didn't hold water.

You might also want to read the writings of David Horowitz. Like myself, his first passion is freedom of speech on university campuses. I will write about this later, but it is so close to me...what I have personally seen and experienced...it is also difficult.

I should also add that my hometown is Peterborough, so I am familiar with Trent quite a bit. It is a very lovely campus although not the most conservative friendly from what I hear;)

I am glad you enjoy my writing and thank you for the kind words.

All the best.

I will also send a thank you to 905-Tory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home