Friday, April 28, 2006

UNITED 93, PRESIDENT BUSH AND HOLLYWOOD

I try to give credit where credit is due regardless of whether or not it comes from the left or right.

Today, Peter Howell in The Toronto Star, has an excellent article on United 93. His article notes the way artists in Hollywood continue to portray George Bush as inhuman and extra-dumb.

Roger Ebert, a fair but hard left film critic, continued his Michael Moore inspired mocking of President Bush last week on his syndicated television review show.

Howell takes exception:

"For seven minutes — Moore counts every second — Bush sits there, a deepening pall of worry crossing his face, as he puzzles over what to do. Should he drop everything, and investigate the air crashes? Or should he maintain composure and conclude his session with the children?

Anyone with compassion could sympathize with Bush, who was in need of more information. The sympathy should intensify after seeing United 93, which shows the near-chaos that erupted amongst air traffic controllers and military personnel, as they struggled for a lot longer than seven minutes to understand what was happening."

Paul Greengrass, with United 93, seems to have done what no one has yet been able to do in Hollywood. Make a film about 9/11 that both conservatives and liberals admire. All but the most die-hard of conspiracy theorists about 9/11 have admired United 93.

I find it interesting and of note that on his web-site, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh, has an interview and raving endorsment of the film United 93. And remember, the film's director Paul Greengrass is a liberal.

On 'man of the people' Michael Moore's website there is an endorsement for the film V for Vendetta and Neil Young's song 'Impeach the President'.

Moore, who regularly endorses entertainment he likes, makes no mention of United 93 at all...and the film is made by a liberal. I think we are finally beginning to see some people on the left realize that there are many extremists on their side who have been leading them astray for too long. Rooted in a pseudo 1960's world view of conspiracy and 'oppression' that is no longer appropriate.

Culturally I think conservatives are finally starting to realize (albeit very slowly) that they have to make an impact on popular culture and can no longer run away from the arts.

I also recently got into the excellent series 24, which stars Canadian Keifer Sutherland and was created, and is executive produced and co-written by one of the few 'out' conservatives in Hollywood, Joel Surnow. When I watched Season Four virtually non-stop on DVD I found it riveting. It depicts an America in the grips of terrorism in a way that I thought I would never see from Hollywood. It was also more thrilling than any film I had seen in over a decade.

I will see United 93 this weekend and post my thoughts on it at a later date.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just 'becoming' a conservative in the past year, I've come to realized that everything is political. Although politics is one of three topics you are not supposed to discuss, politics is everywhere.

My parents have watched 24 since season 1, I'm hoping to borrow it from someone who has it on DVD. Keep me up to date with conservative creators/directors etc... I would love to support their work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home