Sunday, June 17, 2007

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

My Father passed away when I was 17 years old, on March the 5th 1988.

Through my father I came to have the love of film and culture that I have today.

My father (along with my mother) helped teach me right from wrong.

He helped fortify in me the notion that facts and truth are two completely different concepts.

My father used to take me on long drives around my hometown where we would talk about music and life.

My father died of a heart failure after a long struggle with it for the better part of the 1980's. He never lived to see me graduate from high school or university; he never saw me get my first job or met my first date.

He never got to meet my beautiful and lovely young wife.

But I believe he is out there and is aware.

Today, I 'll pray for my dad. I'll pray for all dads in the hope that they see the responsibility that is enshrined unto them if they have children.

I'll also pray that society comes to recognize and respect the important role that fathers must play in the lives of their children whether they be boys or girls.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

PS. Please note that after long consideration, it has been determined that for now and the foreseeable future, all comments on this blog will be moderated.

As usual, I welcome any and all comments from the entire breadth of the political spectrum.

What are not welcome are vulgarity, threats, trolls, or links to material that are extremely questionable (or illegal) in nature.

Those who have read me for the few years I have been doing this know that I always welcome dissent and differing views. But when that gets taken for granted, I have to remember that this blog is ultimately about my freedom of expression - being able to get out my views without feeling like I am being threatened, harrassed or compromised.

Best.

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

I'll also pray that society comes to recognize and respect the important role that fathers must play in the lives of their children whether they be boys or girls.

Amen. Beautiful.

Fathers need to be affirmed and valued. Great post.

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to the vital role of fathers.

Can you explain "facts and truth are two completely different concepts"? I don't capice.

Thanks.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Facts are things that are empirical and measureable. Truth involves a greater world view such as morality andcontext.

For example...

...when Bill Clinton was originally asked if he had had a relationship with Monica Lewinsky, his response was the very clinical, legal and factual "There is no relationship with that woman."

IS- being the operative word. At the time there was no relationship. Of course the larger truth that his fact obfuscates is that he did have a relationship with her...which is what the reporter wanted to know.

Hence, even though Clinton told a fact, he did not tell the truth.

I'll try to write a longer post on this topic soon.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The example you've provided doesn't really clarify the statement. Bill Clinton didn't answer the question, ie. question was past tense, answer was present tense. He could have also answered "Cheslea is my daughter" which would have been factual and true, though no more an answer to the question than the one he gave.

Are you really saying that facts are truth only within the correct context? I don't know that that is a tenable position. Facts = truth.

And, I don't know what empirical evidence has to do with it. For instance the statement "God exists" is true, but difficult to prove empirically.

I look forward to your larger post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home