Monday, October 31, 2005

DOSSIER # 18: MULTICULTURAL MELTDOWN

About two weeks ago someone very close to me had an awful experience. Really awful. The kind of experience that I observed at Queen’s University. The type of experience I write about. I’ll relate, then comment.

My friend works at a daycare center for fairly well-to-do parents in Toronto. It is for pre-schoolers. Again, the demographic is very upscale…very Rosedale. They play games with the kids, teach them, and try to instill in them a respect for their fellow classmates. My friend, since the beginning of the fall term had experienced some minor setbacks such as one overly rambunctious child biting her on the shoulder, but for the most part, all was good.

Unfortunately, there is always a problem child. A child that just won’t listen. A child that is spoiled at home and always asks “What about me…me, me, me, me! You know the type. The type that pushes and shoves; creates havoc and never seems to learn. The type of child that can’t be corrected. The type of child that most likely is not corrected at all at home.

So, my friend and her partner (two to a class), had to deal with a child like this in her class. She told me of how difficult the child was to deal with. Not a bad kid…just a spoiled kid who would not listen. Her and her partner would often have to spend too much time on this child. My friend and her partner are great with the kids. My friend loves children. She has made a lifetime of working with under-privledged children in cancer camps and with mentally handicapped athletes. She has worked with every demographic and age group. If ever someone was destined to work with children…it is my friend.

Unfortunately, this problem child at many times would have to be told to stop what she was doing, bullying and hitting other kids. My friend-a strong child’s rights advocate who would never hit a child- would have to say things like “Stop that” or “Cut it out” or “Leave that child alone”. Now one day, the problem child’s parents came to pick their daughter up early. They heard my friend ‘reprimanding’ their child who was bullying another. The next day my friend got a call from her boss saying the problem child had been pulled from the class and the parents wanted their money back. They weren’t happy with the fact that their child had been singled out.

Now, I have left out two details of the story thus far. I’ll reveal them now.

My friend is white.

The child was Hindu. You can see where this is going can’t you.

My friend’s boss thankfully defended my friend, but it didn’t matter. The parents were convinced that both my friend and her partner were racist and demanded that the centre hire more ‘qualified’ ethnically sensitive daycare staff. She thought my friend was too young and unqualified. My friend is thirty and has worked with children all of her life.

Now, thankfully, nothing came of this, which is why I have waited to write about it. But…now my friend, who was traumatized for weeks for this has lost all enthusiasm for working with children. She has gotten frightened about how she acts around the children she is now in charge of.

Today, she went to her job dressed up for Halloween. She was reprimanded because Halloween is a “Christian Holliday” and the parents of the children (all of whom were going trick or treating tonight) may be offended.

(Interesting how when Orthodox Jews, Muslims or Christian Asians then complain of same-sex marriage being taught to their kids in school they are told to pipe down and shut up. Funny how tolerance works, eh?)

Now my friend is fairly apolitical and has opinions all across the political spectrum. She even has many NDP-like positions and considered voting for Jack Layton in the next election. She is now vehemently opposed to and terrified of political correctness. I suspect Stephen Harper just got another vote.

Is this what we’ve come to? Is this where we’re going?

Sadly, had the parent chosen to take her claim to the Ontario Human Rights Commission or to court my friend’s life would have been destroyed. Period. New Left Oppression Theory and Identity Politics presume you are guilty of racism (or misogyny or homophobia) and let you presume your innocence. Which you can’t.

How does one prove that one does not possess feelings that one does not possess?

It is a literal impossibility. Canadian Human Rights Tribunals are little more than modern day witch hunts which I believe should be dismantled immediately. They are kangaroo courts akin to the dark ages. Guilt is assumed and innocence impossible to prove. Even if my friend’s boss testified for her, her boss is white and Jewish.

How would that play out?

What if the human rights tribunal panelist was pro-Palestinian and New Left in their politics? Statistically this is exactly what they would be. Of course then the assumption would be “How can a white Zionist Jew know about oppression due to race?” See the murky waters we get into really fast when we make policy based on Identity Politics and not empiricism?

Oppression Theory assumes racism is seeped into our very souls by two thousand years of white, Judeo-Chistian, white male oppression. How can you prove you don’t have it when the very assumption is that you do?

Unofficial multiculturalism I endorse. The fact that immigrants can come to this country and feel free of harassment is a good thing. But official multicultural policy as set by the Liberal Party of Canada and the NDP is quite frankly a horror show. Contrary to what it says, it serves nothing but to help divide us and keep white New Left politicians in power.

Now as for the woman with the problem child? Perhaps she has experienced much racism in her life and she believes she is sheltering and defending her daughter. If that is true then I would disagree with her actions but at least understand and appreciate them. It is possible.

It is also possible she and her husband are third generation Canadians who earn 150-200k a year; live in Rosedale; have never encountered real racism in their life aside from maybe being served too slowly at a Tim Horton’s in the suburbs once while on their way to their cottage in Muskoka but because they are force fed a steady diet of ‘oppression theory’ from the CBC, teachers, government and media they believe they are oppressed by my friend who doesn’t even know how she will pay her rent next month. This is also possible.

Now, because I know the demographic of this day care centre, I know which one I suspect.

Official Liberal Party of Canada multicultural policy for the past several decades has raped our country of our history, our souls and our pride. It teaches Canadians that you are either an ‘oppressor’ or the ‘oppressed’ based solely on your race. It teaches new Canadians to always be suspicious and never trust someone who is different. It breeds both class and racial tensions and doesn’t allow us to see truth.

If we don’t kill it soon…it will kill us.

4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great commentary once again! Just yesterday, Joe Volpe threw open the doors to more immigrants to flood our cities and vote Liberal and NDP! Look at the Toronto area, such as Mississaugastan, full of Muslims, who no doubt love Carolyn Parrish.
While Joe and Paul speak glowingly about multiculturalism, they and the media ignore the backwards traditions brought into the country from wacky corners of the world, things indigenous Canadians would find appalling. No doubt there's shrouded primitive activities going on in the ghettoized immigrant communities. I'm talking about Islamic honour killings, African genetal mutilation of young girls, mistreatment of animals, human and drug trafficking by Asian gangs, gun violence by Jamaican thugs and there are others I'm sure. I'm not saying all immigrants are like this but most do not abandon their Third world paradigms or world views upon landing at a Canadian airport.
Yet no one can dare bring this up because, heaven forbid, they'll be called racists! And Joe, what's being done for the millions of unskilled labour that are already here? You know, the ones whose parents could never afford to send them to school because the costs are out of reach. The ones that fear a 30,000 dollar weight on their shoulders so they're stuck working in call centers and retail while immigrants get special loans to help them through Canadian universities! Oh yes, I know why! It's because lower skilled, low paid workers generally don't vote as much, don't follow politics, and that means, no vote for the Liberals! Maybe the CBC will do a special report on that fact that there is no labour shortage at all; it's just that Canadian labour doesn't matter to the Liberals. Don't hold your breathe.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Les Mackenzie said...

I tend to disagree with fabian on a variety of points - the foremost being NO labour shortage. There isn't one now - but our birthrate and mortality rate are neck at neck. It's only a matter of time before the "Me me me" generation runs out of steam...

And I do agree with you Nicol - the human rights tribunal is a witch hunt - nothing more. Should I blame all my ills on being white? That would seem ludicrous right?

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. We are in more trouble than we realize in this country, and I fear it will get much worse before it gets better.

If it does. With the floodgates of immigration gloatingly thrown open as in the recent article fabian points to, it will not be long before immigrants become a substantial and powerful voting bloc.
And we know that Liberals are all about one thing: votes.
Frankly I think it is too late to "kill this". Multiculturalism, the Big Tent, pluralism blah blah, have become cleverly entrenched in the Canadian mindset, and this flawed ideology is now integral to the average Canadian's feel good view about himself.

I feel very badly for your friend. But as you pointed out there will be no justice served in this case. Or any others like it.

Unless Canadians can take their heads out of their collective bottoms and see what is happening before it is too late. Another 5 years of a majority Liberal government, and we can all kiss it goodbye.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Fabian,

I think the majority of problems with multiculturalism are not minorities...it's the white poltiicians who want to exploit minorities and keep them dependant on them. That's what leads to the problems my friend experienced. Thanks for the comment.

Les,

Human rights tribunals are nothing but witch-hunts and I will scream it from the mountain tops. I believe in equality for all...these tribunals are nothing but an excuse to keep white leftists in power. That is who my beef is with...not the good hard working immigrants who come here...the white leftists who exploit them are the ones I gripe about. Thanks again.

Simoncat,

I agree that it is probably too late to change this policy. Sad. It serves only one purpose. The exact inverse of what it says. It keeps minorities down and more power to the white New Left establishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home