Friday, June 29, 2007

WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR JOHN TORY?

Just askin'?

I mean is there a conservative bone in his body? I met Tory once briefly after he lost his mayoral bid. He is a very nice man and I told him I voted for him. I still think he would have made a great middle of the road, appeal to everyone but smack down on crime, kinda mayor.

However, as the head of the provincial Progressive Conservatives, he has fallen into the same traps of many of those who have gone before him. Woo the urban white, latte liberal set, talk up the arts, dance at Pride and then just assume the conservative base will follow because who else are they gonna vote for.

Schwarzenegger has done well going to the left, but he has also done many conservative things with the California educational system that go unreported in the mainstream media. At his core, we all know Arnold is more conservative than he lets on. I could vote for him.

Tory I think is the opposite. A blue-blood with mucho tempo on his hands, so he wants to go to public office a la Mr. Smith. Except he would be much better running as a Liberal but his connections are with the blue-blood business community so he goes PC (and p.c. for that matter).

Nice man. But if I vote for him in the fall, and right now I am thinking I will not, it will only be after taking two shots of strong whiskey and holding my nose real tight.

I am not in his riding but any 'conservative' that could not get my automatic vote against a radical activist like Kathleen Wynne has got to be left desiring something. The fact that he thinks he can win in a riding currently held by her says a lot.

He is even going to hurt the LCBO's Food and Drink magazine, which is the only damn thing the Government of Ontario does right.

I remember sitting out a Federal election once in the mid-nineties 'cause I had to work overtime and I knew Presto! was gonna lose.

Convince me otherwise.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Joan Tintor said...

The LCBO mags are among the least conservative things the government does: a glossy, "free" magazine to promote a practical monopoly retailer.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Fair enough, but it is a great product and better than most other private magazines of its type.

I have seen many cities with privately owned liquor stores and with few exceptions, they are dumps, holes in walls where you get your hooch, get in, get out and try not to trip over the junkie-wino on the corner while you do it.

They lead to stores having to have cages over them when they close and they tend to be very dirty.

The LCBO is one of the few things I enjoy about the Ontario Government.

The LCBO may not be perfect, but I would dread it being privatized.

Thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home