Saturday, July 29, 2006

MEL GIBSON'S TIRADE

By now many of you have already heard of the details of this story.

For now I'll just say the following:

1. What Mel Gibson did was asinine, dangerous, irresponsible and what he said was racist and anti-semitic. He has actually hurt his defenders more than anyone else.

2. His apology and admission took courage, character and fortitude. He easily could have tried to do the celebrity spin and deny, put out counter statements etc.

3. Anyone who has financed, produced, directed, starred in or enjoyed consuming viciously anti-Catholic/christian Hollywood fare like The DaVinci Code or V for Vendetta can keep quiet on judging Mel here lest you be called a hypocrite.

I still look forward to seeing Apocalypto as much as I did 48 hours ago.

Do I think it changes his stature in Hollywood. Not really. Hollywood already hated him. What it changes is how he is perceived by his defenders. Many people went to bat for him and feel very let down...myself included.

He is human. I still admire him as an artist although he does (like many artists) have a tortured soul.

I'll say a prayer for him.

I do not think it will affect how he is perceived the public at large, that line was drawn a few years ago.

If Apocalypto does well, it will be forgotten...if it flops, he may be financing his own films for a while.

But I reiterate, given the history of Hollywood, they do not really have a place to judge his stupid act...but they will.

3 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Spitfire said...

No I didn't hear about it, but I looked into it and read about it online. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need Ideas for addition home room sun Find us at http://carpenrty4u.com/room.pl

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work http://www.hummer-rental.info/Buy-cheap-here-tamiflu-tamiflu.html Raising credit beacon scores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home