Wednesday, July 05, 2006

JON STEWART AND THE CULTURE OF IRONY

This is an article that has been discussed in other places but I thought it was worth mentioning again.

It refers to a recent study that says college students who get their news from Jon Stewart on The Daily Show are not only much more cynical about politics, but as a result are less likely to vote.

This does not surprise me at all.

On a cultural level, Stewart is cut from the same 'culture of irony' cloth as David Letterman. His forte is taking complex issues and reducing them to insults, zingers and punchlines.

He is a shortcut to thinking.

Ironically enough, Stewart believes he is helping the political process by showing the banality of it. I know many people that love Stewart and use his voice as the gospel.

They believe cutting people down is and argument and a wiseass remark shows you are intelligent. Sadly, this is what passes for wisdom amongst many of the New Left. This is also their downfall.

What hurt conservatism/Christianity so much in decades past was the 'not being allowed to question it' aspect. When modern leftists respond to queries and questions with Stewart like insults and putdowns, it has the same result, and the fact that so many of them are now not voting is sad.

Nevertheless, it is this laziness in thinking that ultimatley leads to any ideologies downfall. For arguably four decades the left has not had to form opinions, instead taking for granted everyone thought them smart, kind and wise.

Fewer people are now believing it and they do not know where to turn.

2 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only watched one entire episode of Stewart whom I don't find funny. It's interesting that the article you linked to referenced college students because that's precisely the demographic it seems Letterman and his wannabes appeals to most. To put it another way, Stewart's is the kind of humour that I would have found funny (maybe) when I was a first-year university student twenty years ago. I guess "intelligent" comedy has to treat the world as if it's a joke for those who remain mentally 19-year-olds forever. Frankly, I just cannot fathom the appeal of Stewart or Colbert at all.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Les Mackenzie said...

I like Jon Stewart - but I take him as seriously as I did Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

His comedy is meant to be low brow. I take it all with a grain of salt.

I love your analogy though Nic. A shortcut to thinking indeed :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home