Friday, February 10, 2006

HYPOCRISY HALIFAX STYLE

More hypocrisy surrounding the publication of those cartoons. This time at St. Mary's University in Halifax.

This article was found via Kathy Shaidle.

"Philosophy professor Peter March said he was exercising academic freedom when he taped cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed on his office door at St. Mary's University this week. Muslim students say he was mocking their faith."

Sadly, this seems to be another case where all involved appear to be on the wrong side. As I have stated previously, I am fairly libertarian when it comes to issues of free speech, especially in the context of debating issues and ideas. Usually I would champion a professor on a university campus defending true issues of free speech. I question if this is it.

"The professor, who said he is a defender of civil liberties and opposes all religion, said his actions were designed to prompt a public debate, which he said is a cornerstone of university life."

I wonder how much of his motivation arises from issues of free speech and how much arises from his opposition to all religions in general. I think that is a valid question.

As for the offended students who protested and are calling for him to be fired; do they also oppose when/if the good professor offends Christians or Catholics, which I would wager probably happens a good deal of the time in his classes? Are they merely being selective in their offense?

As for this...

"The university's faculty union also came down on the professor, arguing that academic freedom is about providing teachers with the freedom to research, debate and publish."

I'm not a student at St. Mary's University but I'd be willing to bet if I strolled onto this campus I would find many things inflammatory about Christians and Catholics that are allowed. I bet I'd find them in the good professor's own classes if I looked hard enoungh; if my own experience with other philosophy professors who 'oppose all religion' is any indicator.

In short, everyone comes out of this poorly. As an advocate of free speech on university campuses I do not believe the professor should be fired or even censured in any way. But that does not mean I think he is a 'hero' for the cause of free speech. I suspect he has other motivations which I have alluded to above.

As for the students. I support their right to protest but think that calling for the professor to be fired defeats their own purpose of being in a university. It also, in a cyclical way makes the profesor's own point about free speech valid. To me a true university is about the free exchange of ideas and some of those ideas may well be offensive. If you do not like it...don't go. I am tired of those who are professionally offended on university campuses.

As for the Faculty Union...well, let's just say that if I were given the freedom to purge from every university campus those individuals that I think are most harmful to the goal of higher learning on university campuses, I 'd start at the Faculty Union Lounge.

And that's all I have to say about that.

1 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you a happy valentine's day, Nicol. Reading your work always puts a smile on my face. You continually impress me, and you can rant with me any time. Seeing as you married me, that's one thing I will always be able to look forward to.

Samantha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home