Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ELECTION POST MORTEM: DON'T ABANDON YOUR BASE

"The hustings are over, the bunting is down, the mad hysteria is at an end. After the chaos of a general election, we can return to normal."

Edmund Blackadder III

But if I may, perhaps the next leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario will learn not to abandon his/her base. Red Toryism will not win you an election. It will only piss off your base and make them not turn out to vote for you.

...and how many more times do we have to learn the lesson that leftists in urban centers will not vote for anything with a conservative label on it?

At least when Stephen Harper lost in 2004, we could hold our head high. He is/was a man of principle and went out on his own terms. He took anti-establishment positions on everything from SSM to Afghanistan to taxes. And now he is our Prime Minister and will be for the near future.

Right now, do you think John Tory is happy or sad that he danced in gay pride?

Right now, do you think John Tory is happy or sad he spent all those hours hob-knobbing with the Ottawa-Toronto latte media cliques and throwing them BBQ's?

Right now, do think John Tory is happy or sad he tried to give more money to urban arts?

And if he really believed in all of those things, then he was with the wrong party.

My PC candidate lost today. I am not surprised. Toronto went red. I am not surprised. But it is easier to lose when you voted for something as opposed to against. I voted against Dalton McGuinty.

I won't lie to you. As I walked into my polling station I came within a hair of voting Libertarian due to their policy of abolishing the pubic school system. That would have been me voting for something.

But I voted PC because my candidate had a not so so-so chance.

The only bright spot is that rumour of Dalton McG being the seen as a potential new Liberal leader of Canada. I would love to see Stephen Harper make mince meat of that intellectual paper-weight. And the fact that they even mention Ruby Dhalla! I have seen her a few times on Michael Coren and the words vapid and flake came to mind.

If that's what the Liberal Party of the Future holds...let's get in our Doc Brown Delorean right now!

But for now, let's just hope a real conservative with back bone is willing to take back the province.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Raphael Alexander said...

Michael Coren makes me want to retch. He is utterly unpalatable. I can't take more than five minutes, even if nothing else is on the radio. I only mention this because it means I haven't seen Ruby Dhalla on the show.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

I love Michael Coren. He is certainly not to everyone's taste but his knowledge of history, politics and religion leaves most others in Canada in the dust.

But...to each his own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home